Lesson learned. Don't push it!
Last night was a beautiful night in Tokyo. Warm and Clear. The wife and kid were in bed, it was between working hours at HQ in Boston and Tokyo, and I had just put some new riffs in the iPod.
Lots of energy. Feeling good. Now three weeks into daily exercise. I will work out on the deck tonight!
Nice stretch for a warm up, and then hit the jump rope.
Did my 800 jumps and it felt REALLY good. A little sweat. Kane West Gold Digger playing, and I decided to keep going, pushing it and feeling the burn....another ten min or so of pretty intense jumping and then TWANG.....the calf blows....sharp pain deep in the middle of my right calf. Old injury from soccer that never really healed.
One of those hard to stretch, hard to hit durning massage places.
Lesson learned. You are Old.....dont push it.
Feeling OK today, but will probably need to take it easy on the jump rope tonight....maybe put Enya on the iPod....
Still feeling good about everything, and I might just try on the suits I have not worn in a year to see if the belly in slimming down! My pants feel looser, and I'm not constantly tucking my dress shirt in all day, trying not to admit that my fat gut keeps pushing it out....
OH nooo dude that is the WORST. Sorry to hear that. I think you gotta get some PT on that badboy, not just a regular massage...physical therapy, they'll massage it for you and run an ultrasound over it so no scar tissue forms, etc. Don't wait, get it looked at asap. Get well.
ReplyDeleteHold up on trying any suits yet AND going for extra sets and reps! There's plenty of time for that yet!
ReplyDeleteOH no! I've been very wary about my calf muscles as well, because I have a tendency to pull my right calf muscle (volleyball injury) and it sidelines me for a good week or so. It's hard not to do more reps/time when you're in a good rhythm. Anyhow, I feel for you and hope this doesn't slow you down too much. Wishing you fast healing from Team Blue!
ReplyDeleteDude, just stay the course, no need to push it, the workout (and diet) are tailored for 90 days (and diet specifically for you), not going to help if you are injured. Everyone has different body types and results come at different times, but they come. Despite my apparent lean frame I had wicked back-fat (epic, historic back fat, ask Patrick), was well into the 3rd month and was trailing my group until one day BAM! Abs!
ReplyDeleteI hear you - my calves are perpetually tight - am really glad patrick provided us with a few alternatives to the rope in today's email.
ReplyDeleteI came to love jump rope, but it kills my calf, feel it every time i sit Seiza in Aikido, be careful, rest for a few days )
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments everyone.
ReplyDeleteLots of stretching and some self massage has helped a lot.
The calf is tight, but not painful. I have maintained the workouts, but am sticking to the program....